After Hours Party Rental
PRICE: $750 ($650 for Members)
- Reserve the entire Museum just for your party from 5:30–7:30 p.m. Add more time to party all night long!
- The Clay Studio and/or The Maker Studio are available at an additional charge
- 100 guests included (can include children as long as the ratio of children to adults does not exceed 5-to-1), with packages available for up to 750 guests
- Customized seating arrangement in the Museum lobby
- Bring your own food or choose a catering option
Full payment must be taken to hold your reservation.
Please call our sales coordinator at 503.471.9911 to book your party!
After Hours Party FAQ’s
Can we have more than 100 guests?
Yes! We have several different package options for bigger parties. Contact our Sales Coordinator for further information on other available packages. Please note that we require 1 adult for every 5 children attending.
Can we add the Clay Studio or the Maker Studio to our party?
Yes! Pricing starts at $200 per open studio. Please ask our scheduler for more information if you are interested in adding these fun studios to your party experience.
When can the host set up the party room?
Hosts can arrive at 4:30 p.m. to set up. When arriving, please check in at the Box Office and they will answer any questions you may have.
How do my guests check in?
As guests arrive, they can state the birthday child’s name and they will be directed to the party. Guests may arrive at your party no earlier than 5:30 p.m..
What about parking?
Paid parking is available in Washington Park. The rates are $1.60/hour; $4.00 All Day (October–March); $6.40 All Day (April–September). Parking can be paid at any pay station throughout Washington Park. There are also pay stations in front of each venue that take payment. Paid parking is enforced every day between the hours of 9:30 a.m.–9:30 p.m. year round. For more information about paid parking visit WashingtonParkPDX.org/parking. Consider using TriMet as there is a MAX station here in Washington Park, or to carpool. The Museum is not responsible for parking availability.
Can we delay our party arrival or departure?
No. Parties which fail to vacate the Museum by 7:30 p.m. are subject to additional charges.
How do I know if my party has incurred additional charges for additional guests?
Please call our sales coordinator the following weekday at 503.471.9911 to ensure that there are no additional fees or credits due. Please note that any unpaid fees or credits due will be billed to you.
What about balloons?
You are welcome to have balloons in the Potato Rooms, East Studios, or the Outdoor Adventure Pavilion for the duration of your party. Due to potential latex allergy concerns, balloons must remain in birthday party rooms for the duration of the party. Helium tanks are not allowed in the Museum or party rooms.
Can we bring a piñata, streamers, or confetti?
No. These items are choking hazards and for the safety of all visitors the Museum does not allow them.
Can we bring a clown, magician, or some other kind of entertainment?
The Museum welcomes the use of any performer you contract for your after hours party. The Museum cannot provide any special set up or accommodations without advance planning. This set up will result in additional rental fees to be incurred by the host. We strongly recommend that you do reference and background checks as the Museum assumes no liability for third party performers behavior. Additionally, the renter or host will assume responsibility for any damage to the Museum incurred by any outside performer in conjunction with an afterhours party. If you are looking to secure a performer the Museum currently or has worked with in the past, don’t hesitate to ask our scheduler!
Is there a refrigerator/freezer for cake/ice cream and other refreshments?
Yes! Party hosts have access to one from 5:15–7:30pm. Food and beverages are not allowed in the Museum Exhibits or Studios. Consumption is restricted to the area designated for eating.
Do I need to clean up afterwards?
Please take away or throw away any leftover refreshments and decorations. There are trash cans available for paper goods/wrapping paper. Our staff will gladly wipe tables, sweep the room and remove trash bags when your party is finished.
How do people typically run their party?
Many hosts start by enjoying cake, food, ice cream, and then move on to opening presents and then explore the Museum floor.
Can I bring an alcoholic beverage?
Yes, but certain regulations that must be followed. If you will be serving alcohol at your party, we require that you:
- Have proof of the required Certificate of Insurance and provide a copy to Portland Children’s Museum at least two days before your party. (Coverage for Liquor Liability Insurance may be obtained through your own insurance provider or from the licensed caterer.)
- Have an appropriate Oregon Liquor Control Commission (OLCC) license or a permit before selling alcohol.
- Use licensed OLCC servers, following all OLCC rules and guidelines, to dispense alcohol at your party.
- Do not have self-service alcohol available. This includes wine and bottled, canned or keg beer.
- We require that you terminate alcohol service thirty minutes before your party ends and that you designate one or more adults to remain alcohol-free to oversee the party and clean-up process.
- Most parties use a catering service for any alcohol service. Caterers usually have OLCC licensed servers and normally carry their own liquor liability insurance.
How long can my guests play in the Museum?
Guests of your party can play from 5:30–7:30 p.m. Looking to make a night of it? Ask about adding more time to your party.
To reserve your event rental space, estimated charges are required in full up front, along with the signed rental agreement. Payment may be made with major credit card, check or money order. All checks must clear prior to the event.
Have a question that isn’t listed here?
Please call us at 503.471.9911