Ages 5–10 | Cost $35. Members will receive a 15% discount at time of checkout.
Winter Workshops are for ages 5-10. A caregiver is required to stay in the workshop with children ages 5–7. For children ages 8–10 a caregiver is required to be at the Museum, but does not need to stay in the workshop.
Admission to Portland Children's Museum is not included in this price.
- December 21: Clay Pendants
- Make a special gift to share with a special person! Explore working with different types of clay and create pendants that will be ready to take home at the end of the workshop.
- December 22: Festive Food
- Discover a new favorite family recipe! We will focus on food children can take the lead in helping prepare, and the whole family can enjoy together.
- December 23: Air Plant Pots
- Design homes for plants that live without dirt! Learn about air plants and create mini planters to have a space for them to live in your own home.
- December 24 & 25: Museum Closed
- December 26: Suminagashi
- Experiment with water and ink to create marbled paper! Discover the process of floating ink on water and make colorful paper creations to take home.
- December 27: Weaving
- Weave your way into a new skill before the end of the year! Learn how to warp a loom and learn basic weaving techniques to create a woven piece to take home.
- December 28: Catching Light
- Create a light catching mobile to bring some winter light into your home! Explore different translucent materials and mix them together to make your own unique art piece.
- December 29: Festive Food
- Ring in the new year with a new dish at the family table! We will focus on food children can take the lead in helping prepare, and the whole family can enjoy together.
- December 30: New Year Journal
- Celebrate the end of the year and start the new one with a journal made by you! We will play with a variety of papers and binding techniques to create one-of-a-kind journals you can fill with words or drawings in the new year.
- December 31: No Workshops on New Year's Eve
- January 1: Museum Closed
- January 2: Printmaking
- Explore a variety of techniques to mix materials and create prints! Investigate the ways you can make designs and layer them to make a masterpiece to take home.
- January 3: Macrame
- Become a macrame master and make a piece to display at home! Learn a variety of basic knots to create patterns and shapes with rope, then design your own hanging flower pot holder.
- January 4: Festive Food
- Celebrate the new year with new recipes! We will focus on food children can take the lead in helping prepare, and options that can be packed up easily to head back to school.
- January 5: Indigo
- Dip into the indigo dyeing process! Experiment with folding and wrapping techniques to create designs on fabric and bags using indigo dye.