Opal School of the Portland Children’s Museum
Position: Substitute Teacher
Status: On-Call, Temporary Part-Time
September 6, 2011 – June 25, 2012
Reports to: Opal School Director
Substitute teachers facilitate inquiry approaches to teaching and learning through the languages of the arts and sciences for children in preschool to grade 5.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the mission, philosophy, values and teaching principles of Opal School.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the developmental stages and needs of children ages 3-10.
- As scheduled, participates as a member of the teaching team in which collaboration, dialogue, and exchange are practiced values.
- Understands how the physical environment of the classroom reflects Opal School’s principles of teaching and learning.
- As scheduled, guides experiences for the disciplines of reading, writing, mathematics, science, social sciences and the languages of the arts.
- Is knowledgeable of the Oregon State Standards for K-5 and Opal School’s approaches to address the standards.
- Is knowledgeable of the curriculum structures used at Opal School and understands how to apply them appropriately.
- Guides experiences for children that reflect Opal School’s principles of teaching and learning.
- Demonstrates the ability to support the social and emotional intelligences of children as an integral part of all curriculum disciplines.
- All other responsibilities as assigned by the Opal School Director.
- Elementary teaching license required, master’s degree preferred
- Values parents as important partners in the work of the school
- Has a keen interest and curiosity about the nature of learning and teaching
- Pays attention to the many ways that children make meaning of the world
- Collaborates with children and adults in positive ways
- Finds joy in working with children and adults
- Approaches teaching as a life-long learner
- Seeks out resources to continually improve one’s practice
- Values learning from mistakes
- Is knowledgeable of the experiences and practices of the early childhood schools of Reggio Emilia, Italy
Please send a letter of interest, resume and three professional references to: firstname.lastname@example.org
NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE